The following are amongst the logistics that you need in order to host a successful programme:
1. A safe, clean park with a toilet and water (Mandatory)
2. RSVP WhatsApp number (Mandatory)
3. A team to work with
4. Poster from Make a Mark Africa Youth Development
5. Lunch (bring and share)
6. Stationary (Mentees bring their own)
7. Something to sit on (Mentees bring their own)
8. Register (Mandatory and Template will be provided by Make a Mark Africa Youth Development)
9. Camera (Mandatory)
10. Organize guest contributors (Optional)
11. Create a Facebook event (Mandatory)
12. Water (Mandatory)
13. PPEs (Mandatory)
14. Toilet paper (Mandatory)
During the Programme
After you have organized all the above items, we are sure you will have a successful turn out with an amazing programme ahead of you.
Below is a list of what you need to ensure and do in order for the programme to be a success:
1. You need to be 1 hour early at the venue with your team and you have reminded your mentees the day before yesterday about the programme.
2. Ensure that your phone is switched on and it has someone to attend to calls.
3. As the facilitator ask everyone to form a circle and open with prayer while everyone is seated or standing.
4. Introduce yourself and the programme, the theme and the guest contributors.
5. Ask the attendees to introduce themselves (You can use an interesting way for them to introduce themselves)
6. Depending on the number of your attendees, divide them into3 – 5 groups and break down the topic/theme into sub-topics or sub-themes and give each group a sub-topic or sub-theme.
7. Give them time to discuss the sub-topic or sub-theme you have given them. Ask them to choose a group leader, someone who is going to present on their behalf.
8. Ask them to come back to the main group, still in a circle, and let each group share their thoughts (Very important).
9. Give the guest speakers a chance to share what they have to share.
10. Speakers shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes and always give attendees a chance to ask questions.
11. Remember to give them a break to eat and while they are in a break ask them to engage with one another and take selfies with each other.
12. Remember to pass around the register.
13. Close with prayer and remember to take a group picture.
After the Programme
After hosting the programme successfully, you will be fulfilled and excited to go back to the back very soon.
This is how your mentees should feel as well and you need to do the following to keep them wanting to come back to the programme:
1. Create a WhatsApp if you haven’t created one by now.
2. Keep the group engage by discussing one topic per week. You need to choose a day and time for your discussion but you can always post important and inspiring information on the group.
3. Share the pictures and ask your mentees to share them on their social media with #FreeMentorshipAtThepark.
4. Keep checking on your mentees and report weekly to your supervisor.
5. Prepare for the next Free Mentorship at the Park Programme.
6. Remember to send certificates of attendance to all the people that attended
7. Submit a report about what transpired at the park.